Photo by Will Studd
Make Mac & Cheese with Kefalotyri Saganaki by Will Studd
By Will Studd
By Will Studd
Make Mac & Cheese with Kefalotyri Saganaki by Will Studd:
- 200g / 7oz Artemis Kefalotyri Saganaki
- 300g/11oz dried macaroni
- 50g/2oz unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups full cream milk
- 150g/6oz clothbound cheddar, grated
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (we used Japanese panko)
- 1 tbs EV olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Cook pasta for 3 minutes less than the packet instructions, then drain.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 7 minutes or until softened. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and add mustard, paprika and cayenne.
- Gradually add milk, stirring to remove any lumps. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Add 150g/5oz of the kefalotyri and all of the cheddar and stir to melt. Stir through the pasta until well coated and season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to an ovenproof 10-inch high-sided skillet or oven proof dish.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, olive oil and remaining kefalotyri in a bowl and scatter over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until macaroni is golden.
Explore more from Will Studd online.
Recipe originally sourced by Will Studd.